Saturday, May 7, 2011

Marking Time, or Happy Pre-Mother's Day

The boys are no more than a week or so away right now. We have been ready, or at least as ready as we'll ever be, and we are getting impatient. We both want to meet our sons very badly. I also want my wife to be able to sit, stand, sleep, and move comfortably again. I'm damn proud of her for quite literally bearing the burden of growing our children.


Three moms-to-be at three different stages of pregnancy.

She has been an amazing trooper through this pregnancy, putting up with stares from strangers, swollen ankles, disrupted sleeping, and most recently being housebound these last couple of weeks as the OB said her belly is too big to safely be behind the wheel.

Gram Wicks

 She has been careful about what she eats and drinks. Every decision she has made regarding our boys (baby gear, birth plans, feeding options, whatever) was chosen to give our kids every opportunity to be healthy and happy. Mothers do this the world over daily without complaint or question, but now that it is about to take over my entire world, it seems I am just now appreciating it fully. I am thankful that my own mother did this for me and my sisters, and that my wife's mother did the same for her and her brother. We have two excellent models on which to base our own parenting.

Mother Miller and my lovely wife

Gram Vanderkolk and yours truly

Grandma Miller and my father-in-law

Therefore any screw-ups, paste-eating, and running with scissors can be blamed directly on the grandparents.

 Happy mother's day, Mom

Happy Mother's Day to all of the women in our families who have carried, birthed, and raised us. Thank you for loving us even when you didn't necessarily like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment