Thursday, September 29, 2011

Baptisms

Parenthood is, in part, a series of decisions made on behalf of one's child(ren). These decisions are made with the child's best interests at heart and little thought is given to the child's approval or disapproval of said decision. Parents choose what their children will eat, what they will wear, what schools they attend. Will they play video games? Will they wear a bike helmet? Will they be allowed to see R-rated movies when they're seven years old?

We had our sons baptized this past weekend. We, as parents, decided for our children that they should know Jesus.




Their grandfather performed the baptisms. Anna decided to get baptized with the boys, as she and her brother were dedicated as infants. An unexpected but perfect addition to the ceremony. It was a wonderful moment full of lumpy throats and beaming prides.

I don't intend to proselytize or set off anyone's religious Spidey-Sense. You believe your beliefs, I'll believe mine.

Yet here's the irony about the whole thing. We decided for our children what they will believe. Or, at least, what they will be taught in Sunday school. We hope that they will come to terms with, and take ownership of, these Christian beliefs that will be presented to them, but in reality they will have the freedom to make their own way in the spiritual world. I know I certainly took a roundabout path to my beliefs. I am glad it happened for me this way as I feel like my beliefs are my own and not merely a set of doctrines handed down from generation to generation.

I hope the boys will listen to the Beatitudes. I hope they come to understand the intricacies of grace and forgiveness and knowing enough to know that they will rarely know enough about a situation to make judgments, especially mean ones, so that might as well be left to Someone More Qualified.

I hope they learn that Jesus was many different things. He was forgiving. He hung out with the uncool. He was wise. He stood his ground. He loved.

I hope they learn about love in the face of imperfection. I hope they are curious and want to learn about other religions, other peoples, other places. Their mother and I will do our best to expand their horizons but no matter how successful we are, the world will be immeasurably bigger than they will comprehend.

I hope they make their own decisions.

Hoodies

2 comments:

  1. Love this post Andy! Those boys are just too adorable. I bet Grandpa Miller was so happy to share this day with you guys. Love you four, and miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good Dad, Beans. And the boys will grow up to be wise and strong of virtue, like all Wicks are. I agree that the path of belief can be a wild and weaving road (it has been for me) but one well worth traveling. Way to start them off with a graceful welcome to the world. May they find peace in all they know, and bring peace to all they do (maybe after their teens ;-)... with lots and lots of love...

    ReplyDelete