Sunday, April 10, 2011

Now it's personal

(Yes, we took the month of March off. We were...busy.)

We are mere weeks away (hopefully) from welcoming Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum into the world with open arms and we have been bizzay. We've moved into a wonderful little rental house with an astounding view and lots of storage space. We bought a minivan that once smelled like leftover Korean food but now just smells like industrial cleaner. Behold.


Dead sexy, no? And the van ain't too bad either.

Also, there have been job interviews, baby classes, doctor appointments, and one long ordeal of trying to sell a house.

The nursery has been set up beautifully by Mama Bear and we can't wait to fill it with wee ones. Except now we have an infestation of carpenter ants in that room. Never seen them? They look like this:



I'm not one to be grossed out by the creepy crawly things of this world, but something about the idea of these suckers taking over the nursery triggered a manly "protect my kids" reflex. I vacuumed up scores of them with a vengeance. I was like Rambo with an upright canister vacuum flamethrower. A grim half-smile crept across my face as I felt each one go "thoomp" into the hose. A tiny voice in my head said "why are you reveling in the destruction of these harmless ants?" To which I replied, "They drew first blood."

Regardless of my bravado, these things will likely have to be taken care of properly by an exterminator. Anybody with any experience of dealing with carpenter ants before? How did it go?

2 comments:

  1. Don't read this article. Congrats on the new digs and the new van, man.

    http://www.esquire.com/features/argentine-ant-control-0810

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification -- that picture is not from our house. Stock photo.

    ReplyDelete